So let's get to work and try to decide what they are.
I think that the heart and soul of the Democratic party is that we protect the weak. This show up as gay rights, women's rights, and civil rights, as well as freedom of speech and freedom of religion. It also shows up in preventing the few from enriching themselves by destroying the environment. These are winning issues.
So how do we push them?
More after the fold...
- We will guarantee that our soldiers make at least as much pay as outside contractors who do the same job.
- We will guarantee that everyone who has fought for America will receive adequate medical care.
3. We will buy less foreign oil.
Play on the xenophobes to get an environmental issue passed. Saudi Arabia and Iran fund terrorists, and they get their money from oil. So we need to choke off their money.
How do we do it? I'm not sure, but we need to make it an issue. We could lower the sales tax on fuel efficient automobiles. We could move funding away from roads and towards public transportation. Would you drive a smaller SUV to punish Iran?
4. We will give no federal funding to a school unless it teaches that evolution is the most likely way humans formed, and there are currently no credible alternatives.
I'm not sure, but I think this is a wedge issue that draws blood. The right has framed religious freedom as being about abortion. But the fundamentalists believe that Catholics are going to Hell because they worship saints, and Episcopalians are going to Hell because they haven't been born again. If we can split off the fundamentalists, we win.
I imagine bringing this to vote, having DeLay ram it through Republicans. Then our guys in the middle can hammer the moderates who voted against it.
They want to bring anti-gay marriage measures to the ballot? We'll bring anti-creationism measures and watch them squirm.
5. We will guarantee that every vote is counted and every vote can be verified.
6. We will guarantee that no child will starve to death in the United States.
Let's frame the entitlement debate around starving children. Let them justify voting against that.
7. We will eliminate tax breaks for companies that send jobs overseas.
I think this one worked, but it wasn't enough.
8. We will prevent censoring of cable television.
We must be able to drive a wedge between the people who went nuts ove Janet Jackson's breast, and the middle. Let's make sure people see how extreme they are by making sure cable isn't subject to the same standards.
Who is with me, and who has better ideas?
We must be able to win on rural issues. The Republicans are destroying family farms by favoring factory farms. We don't like factory farms because of their treatment of animals and workers. How do we push on that?
Let's build a list of ideas and then start pushing this. If there is interest, I'll volunteer to collect everything, and periodically repost an updated diary.